Let’s cut right to the hyperbole: The 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE is a rolling manifestation of Bruce Springsteen’s most celebratory lyrical fairy tale, the “all-American boy with a nose for trouble finds his way by means of a pushrod-V-8–powered muscle car with a weary but naturally beautiful girl in the passenger seat.” Born from the same humble two-door-coupe blueprint that launched the Camaro 50 years ago, it’s the everyman’s super-Camaro: a 455-hp, apex-craving monster that rings in with a $44,400 base price ($6500 for the SS 1LE Performance package on top of $37,900 for the 1SS coupe).
- VEHICLE TYPE:front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe
- PRICE AS TESTED:$45,700 (base price: $44,400)
- ENGINE TYPE:pushrod 16-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
- Displacement:376 cu in, 6162 cc
Power: 455 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 455 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm
- TRANSMISSION:6-speed manual